Thursday, February 7, 2013

Why yes, I do want a job.

A reader on Facebook left the following comment: "I get the feeling you are out job hunting for more reasons than just to get a job."

Hmmmm... I'm not sure what she means by it. In fact, I haven't the faintest idea what she means by it. I figured, I want a job cause I want a job. I mean, who doesn't want a job? But the more I think about it, the more I do want a job for more reasons than just to get a job, thusly.

1) Money
Yeah, well, that's pretty much the whole point of a job, no? But unlike the Northwest Territories, it's not just about paying the bills anymore. Because here in Winnipeg there are many, many things to do with one's money. Among some of the things I want to do with money:
- pay for voice lessons
- pay for show tickets e.g. ballet, choral concerts, opera, perhaps even cinema, and who knows what else? There's always something going on.
- buy shelves for my books
- take the dog to a V-E-T. Hopefully they can do something about her hips and her head.
- go to restaurants, starting with the Kawaii Creperie. There are tons of restaurants here.
- put money in the plate at church. First Lutheran lists on the bulletin how much was donated the previous week and how many worshippers were there, and it looks like they average $30 a hear. Ouch... I don't have that kind of money.

2) Something to do
Duh. Unemployment is nothing if not boring.

3) Stability
I would say the worst part of unemployment or the string of crap jobs you do for survival in Hay River is that you can never plan. You can't plan vacations, you can't plan charitable giving, you can't even buy a big pile of books, because you never know when some evil bitch boss is gonna toss you and you'll be screwed again. So half the point of Winnipeg is to get a REAL job where you show up, do your work, go home, get paid on a regular basis, see the boss as little as possible. Which ought to be possible in a city, no?

4) Completion
From an emotional point of view, this is the part that would matter, if I cared much about emotions. To me this whole thing isn't really a "transition". Yeah, I moved 2400 km, but I didn't "change my life" or anything. I didn't change who I am; I just went to be myself somewhere more interesting. But the thing is, until I get a job, I'm still "moving to Winnipeg." I'm still in that alleged transition. From the point of view of the people who think this has a possibility of failure (it doesn't, never mind), it hasn't "succeeded" until I get a job. And from my point of view, I'm not altogether settled until I'm in a job.

So yeah. I guess, if you want to look at it that way, I am looking for work for more than just to get a job.

No comments: