Thursday, February 21, 2013

Finally, a real walk!






Finally, it's really nice out, I'm confident enough to drive somewhere, and I don't have something urgent I think I have to do. So I googled up a place to walk the dog. Technically I chose this house because of its proximity to, amongst others, Kil-Cona park. Because it has an off-leash area. But I didn't want to go there today, for reasons that elude me at this time. So I looked at the map again and found something that looked promising: Transcona Bioreserve. It seemed easy to drive to, and the website said there might be birds. So first I washed the Fnord (finally!), then we drove out to Transcona Bioreserve. Which is not as easy to find as it looked on the map, because the sign is small and set back from the road, and when you're driving along said road it's hard to spot the tiny gap in the fence by which you're supposed to enter. But we made it, and we had an Actual Walk.

Man, I can't even remember when we last had an Actual Walk together. Where we went somewhere for some purpose other than bathroom breaks. I think it was before it started snowing in Hay River, because since then I've been too scared of the ice to go out much. Plus the dog wasn't feeling well. But here in Winnipeg, the ground is safe to walk on, and we've both been feeling much better, as far as I can tell. I don't know if it's the sunlight, the air quality, or a general feeling of optimism, but we feel better. Sadly, I misjudged the weather; it was much windier, and therefore much colder, in the park than on the back step of the house. So we were only there half an hour, but it's ok. Next time will be longer.

As for these photos, obviously they're pretty primitive, but at least they're there. When is the last time I took photos? That I can answer: Edmonton in August. Because again, we haven't been walking in Hay River, let alone with my nose in the air so I can maim myself in a fall yet again. So yeah, this is rather basic. Also, no birds. I didn't see a single bird. I guess they must be migratory birds. Oh well... I call this series "Prairie Winter". Cause I'm original like that.

Every day I move on to better things.

No comments: