Monday, February 4, 2013

So, conservatory evaluation. First time ever singing anything technical with an audience, let alone an audience who can tell exactly what I'm doing wrong.

My new teacher happens to be an opera singer herself and was thrilled that I proposed to sing from Gianni Schicchi. She says I have "a healthy range" meaning I have a consistent tone properly produced throughout my range. As for the aria she said I had good tone and "understand where the harmonics are going" which is funny cause I have no idea what she's talking. Also that my Italian is very good, again strange since I don't speak a word of it. I'm just good at mimicking the pronunciation. So the plan is that we will focus more on art song to "get familiar with my voice" for now, but she does think that auditioning for the Phil for September is realistic. Right there, moving to Winnipeg was all worthwhile.

Also she said the piece I sang is "very difficult" and "we hear it butchered so much." Really? I thought it was the easiest piece I knew, except for the octave jumps to A, of which I missed one (but only one).

No comments: