Sunday, February 3, 2013

Church was AWESOME. The hot pastor is also a pretty good preacher. The music was... very Lutheran, thank God. Lutherans basically sing constantly. Several songs in a row, at least half of them by Marty Haugen. Instruments included piano, guitar, four teenaged girls with brass instruments, and a small boy with a violin. The communion bread was excellent (communion wine, not so much, but you're not supposed to enjoy communion wine). The church itself was built in 1878 by Icelandic settlers (or so I gather) and has stained glass windows. The congregation is diverse including pre-born to very old, all colours of man, a wide range of economic status, and at least one person with a visible disability. You know what they don't have though? Fat people. The people who stand out in terms of weight in Winnipeg would be about average in Hay River. Other than all the awesomeness of Winnipeg, that's really the one thing that's odd compared to Hay River: where are all the fat people???

Anyway, I tried to imagine myself back in Hay River, as I was only a week ago, and I'd have been doing nothing at all in my apartment full of the neighbour's poisonous perfume, or worse, I'd have had to go to church at St. Andrew's. I shudder to think of it. Oh wait! Even worse: I would have been driving cab for f'all money. I didn't think I'd miss Hay River too much, but I still thought it would be more than this.

And now, just seven more sleeps until... MORE CHURCH! Man, it's good to be back among Lutherans.

No comments: