Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My church is having a "Blessing of the Animals" service this Sunday. I don't particularly care for all this running around blessing random things, as it smacks of papist superstition, so I wasn't gonna go. But then our pastor has been going on and on about how he wants to bless something "exotic", so I trapped a spider I found in my house, and I figured I'd bring that for him to bless. Sadly, the spider seems exceedingly displeased with life in captivity. And since male grass spiders die typically after mating and female grass spiders at the first frost, I might be depriving him of his last few days of hoping to get laid. Besides, being a wild animal, he's already closer to the Lord than any of us, so what does he need a blessing for?

All this to say, I wonder if it's more Christian to let the spider go so he can go forth and multiply, or to keep him as a favour to my pastor, THEN let him go forth and multiply.

No comments: