Monday, March 11, 2013

Things I know how to say in Urdu: 1) السلام علیکم; 2) خدا حافظ; 3) پاکستان زندہ باد. I think I'm pretty much good to go. (And if you try to type English and Urdu in the same sentence Facebook can't figure out which way to write.)

Asad: You're all set, a hello, goodbye and long live Pakistan is all you need

Me: Maybe I should learn "would you like fries with that" so I can get a job at McDonald's.

Deirdre: 'where is the bathroom?' is always a good one

Asad: LOL

Me: And a few cricket terms so I can make conversation.

Asad: yeah that'll help. Cricket is like the only thing anyone has in common. Cricket and politics and the failing economy and infrastructure, normal topics for conversations with almost anyone. And the weather too.

Me: Just like Canada! Except cricket. Cricket isn't really big in Canada. I was hoping to try it this summer because because they do have teams in Winnipeg but they don't have a women's league. Whereas Pakistan totally has women's cricket. So who's sexist now, Canada?

I guess "Imran Khan" is a cricket term LOL. And politics. Works for everything! Anyone asks me about the weather I'll just say "Imran Khan."

Asad: hhahaahaha yeah well lets just hope if he comes into power he doesn't become a dictator

Me: Or get assassinated. :(

Asad: yeah, that would suck.

Me: Maybe he'd be an enlightened despot.

Asad: I think that's what Pakistan needs, a philosopher tyrant kind of leader. Good guys can't do anything for the country because the system is rotten from the top to the bottom. A despot can change things for the better, make the system work properly, and if he has good intentions behind them all.. I'm for it. But that's really improbable imo.. like they say, power corrupts.

Me: I think that's what the whole world needs. But I think it's not power that corrupts, it's the things you have to do to thwart your enemies.

Asad: yeah.. you have to come down to their level to defeat them, and that changes you.

Me: :(

No comments: