Saturday, March 16, 2013

There ya go. The incubation time for canine distemper is 14 to 18 days. Her vaccines were 16 days ago and it's the only thing she received that is consistent with the symptoms. But I thought vaccines were inactivated viruses and couldn't make you sick? Nope. The canine distemper vaccine has a live virus. The symptoms from the time she was in the hospital for a week are also consistent with distemper. And all the neurological symptoms she's been having since last summer would also be consistent with distemper. So, I'm gonna propose a hypothesis that she has a persistent canine distemper infection affecting the nervous system (a known condition documented in the Merck manual) and that it can be aggravated by exposure to more of the live virus. At least that's what I think.

Mardrey: That's rotten. Sorry to hear that. Does she have a Vet yet in Winnipeg?

Me: Yes she does, but the even worse news is, there is no treatment for canine distemper. You just manage the symptoms and hope they survive. Which is exactly what happened the last two times, it cost a fortune and I thought I was gonna lose her. So far her eye is actually looking better, just watery but no coloured discharge, and she doesn't feel like being held anymore. She only lets me hold her when she's feeling really rotten. As long as she's in good health she doesn't know me.

No comments: