Sunday, November 24, 2013

The "think before you click" meme

This meme is simple. If you "like" this status, I give you a random number, and you get to tell us that many things about yourself. So I got 10 from Sandra and 15 from Diana, and then I realized, I don't have 25 things to say about myself. Zut alors.

So the point is, you could just "like" now and I'll give you a number, or refrain from clicking because it's not as fun as you think. Optionally, you could read my 25 things.

There are broadly two categories of things I could say about myself: a) trivia, which is boring, and b) momentous reflections on my self-image, which you will either ignore, argue with, treat as self-deprecating cognitions, or revile me for. I've done memes enough times to know that. Too bad I didn't remember it before I clicked. So I'm gonna try to hit a middle ground of things that are not irrelevant enough to bore me, but irrelevant enough that you won't bother harassing me for them. Here goes.

1) One therapist told me I have "trust issues". I agree: I'm way too trusting.

2) I lack the ability to pander to someone's ego.

3) And that's exactly why I can't keep a job. They should make that an official disability.

4) I like insults better than compliments. Neither one tells me anything about myself but at least insults are more likely to be sincere.

5) My number one reason for ending a friendship is when someone doesn't value my time.

6) And my number two reason for ending a friendship is when someone buys into absurd propaganda like, say, the anti-hijab hysteria.

7) I don't date.

8. I don't see any reason ever to change that.

9) If I had to live my life over again, I'd never date in the first place.

10) I also don't make personal phone calls. Ever.

11) And I don't see any reason ever to change that, either.

12) I can observe fluctuations in two important neurotransmitters by the changes in my dreams. Now I need to figure out how all the other neurotransmitters show up in dreams, too.

13) I played piano for 17 years, yet I'm a much better singer than pianist.

14) I have difficulty applying any gender-specific language to myself.

15) I've been a Lutheran for almost four years and I still tend to say "Hell's yeah" instead of "amen".

16) I had insomnia from the time I was in the womb until 31 May 2008. Strangely, I was cured by being assaulted at work.

17) So far I've caused people to spend a total of 75 days of prison. And I'd be happy to do it again.

18) I still want to go to Antarctica.

19) If only with the supply ship. Crewing an ocean-going transport is one job I'd really like to try.

20) One of my current coworkers used to and I'm at least as smart as he is.

21) I'm highly responsible and a good problem-solver, so people mistake me for codependent. The difference between the two is, I don't give a fuck about other people's problems.

22) I quit codependence cold-turkey on 6 September 2005.

23) I also quit coffee once. Worst six weeks of my life.

24) I don't even like coffee.

25) I wish there was caffeine in cheese. Cheese is tasty.

No comments: