Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The first day of my job hunt, I applied to two places: Home Depot and Air Canada. Why Air Canada? Because they have THE best employee benefit ever: flying anywhere they fly for much much less. But everyone knows that so it's now really hard to get into Air Canada. Accordingly, I never heard back from them. So today, as I'm resetting my sleep to start night shift tonight, the phone rings, and it's... Air Canada. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Well that's really the first time I've had too many jobs to choose from. Next thing you know the Mint might start calling me.

Diana: Work at Air Canada! Way better than Home Depot.

Me: What makes you think that? Air Canada is variable shifts, outdoor work, profitability issues. Home Depot is a stronger company, my hours are set and there are more possible job paths. Air Canada just has that travel deal.

Diana: Does Home Depot give you cheap flights? That would be my reason for choosing to work at AC. Worth it if you want to go anywhere!

Me: Yeah, that was my reason too. But other than that, Home Depot is a better choice. Also, Air Canada is union and you bid your shifts, and the new guys get the last pick. So it's much harder to schedule your personal life, such as voice lessons, dance, soccer, rowing, and church. And also, I don't need to spend the next three months going through ANOTHER large company's HR hoops instead of getting paycheques. Right now I just want to get on with my life in Winnipeg. If I change my mind I can reapply to Air Canada.

Diana: Fair enough, the shift bidding would bother me a lot.

Me: I probably wouldn't even go anywhere until my dog dies anyway. So maybe when she dies I'll apply to Air Canada again. The only place I would have gone is France on the weekends and that is incredibly tiring, even for cheap.

No comments: