Sunday, March 16, 2014

K, for my even more recent Facebook friends, here is an updated version of the "how I became obsessed with Imran Khan" story.

==========
For nine years, I lived in a small, isolated town where no guy would go out with me. And every guy I asked for coffee never spoke to me again. So, it became a running joke in my life to say "I should ask (some guy) for coffee." The more unrealistic, the better.

Also, for unrelated reasons, I'm learning the entire history of the world.

Then, on 27 January 2013, I left the small isolated town and moved 2400 km away to Winnipeg. And the first thing I did was to go check out the nearest library to see what they had about world history. And in the world history section, sitting on a shelf facing out, there was a book with a photo of Imran Khan on the cover. I recognized him because I often read about him in The Economist.

So I look at the book and it says "Pakistan: a personal history", by Imran Khan. Great. Pakistan is important in world history. I must read this book.

So I take the book home and I look at the photos of Imran inside, and I thought "hey, this dude is rather handsome. I should ask him for coffee." <---- remember, running joke about asking unlikely guys for coffee. Then further in the book, I find out that he's divorced. So I was like "hey, he's divorced! I REALLY should ask him for coffee!" <---- still part of my running joke, see?

Then, I followed PTI's Facebook page, to see what sort of politics he was up to, and from there I followed "Explore the Beauty of Pakistan", and it was beautiful, so I started sharing the photos of Pakistan on Facebook.

Then... Several of my French and Canadian friends started abusing me for my interest in Pakistan. Er... Why? What is it to you that I'm looking at beautiful photos of Pakistan? Douchebaggery...

Well, since they were harassing me, I got MORE interested in Pakistan. But of course I couldn't read most of PTI's campaign materials, because they're in Urdu. So instead of learning Farsi like I was supposed to (for the purpose of reading history), I started learning Urdu. The first word I learned in Urdu was "tabdeeli". The first word I learned to read in Urdu was "Pakistan".

But reading about politics is difficult. Reading about cricket is easy because most of the words are really English. So I started reading a lot of cricket stories. To learn Urdu, right? And then I thought, I'll just watch one cricket match. Just one, so I have an idea what they're talking about.

The moment I watched cricket, I became addicted to it. Which is weird because I hate watching sports. So now I want to have coffee with Sangakkara, not Imran. But other than that I'm still totally fascinated by Pakistan.

So now you know.

No comments: