Thursday, March 20, 2014

Her Majesty slept all day and breathed quite well. She clearly had no energy and fell down a lot. In the afternoon I put her on the bed with me, she fell asleep with her head on my shoulder so that I had to sleep in a stress position for several hours. I'll miss that very soon but holy crap my shoulder hurts now.

In the evening she had a burst of energy, which she does every evening. I think it's because she knows I'm leaving for work. Sometimes I think it's just stress, other times I get the feeling she's actually showing off and being playful (which she usually isn't) to try to get me to stay with her. It always makes me sad. Anyway while she was at it, she ate 1 1/2 cups of dog food. So altogether today she had about 1/4 to 1/3 of her calories. No wonder she has no energy. However, she is not dehydrated, her gums are pink, her eyes are alert, and she's not shaking or incontinent right now so...

So what, exactly? I don't think Friday is her last day. Then the weekends usually help her because I'm home with her for two days, so Monday should be ok. So... next Friday? Who knows. If she would just get gradually weaker like this, that's not so bad, except it's so tiring to keep wondering "when".

I don't mind that she has to die before me. I don't mind that it's a year sooner than I expected. I DO mind watching her die for so long.

No comments: