Friday, August 16, 2013

So. Moving, day 1.

In the new house, there are three of us, and we're renting the house together, as opposed to the owner or lessee renting out rooms. When we viewed the house, Youngest Roommate immediately called dibs on one of the upstairs rooms. Then Eldest Roommate called dibs on the downstairs room, which annoyed me because I needed that room since Sissi can't do stairs. On the other hand that room is hardwood whereas upstairs is carpet, which Sissi prefers. So, oh well. Upstairs it is.

However, as we're inspecting the house this morning, first Youngest Roommate found some reason to be grousing about the room he picked, and then Eldest Roommate found out the window in the room she picked won't fit a window air conditioner, so she announced she'd just run the one in the kitchen and leave her door open. "Absolutely not", I told her. Not only because of the cost but I absolutely hate conditioned air, it's foul and wasteful. So I told her she'd just have to buy a portable a/c. So in the end they agreed to switch rooms, which I don't care. Had either one asked for my room, there'd have been some snarking. Not only I got the last room, but I decided it was extremely suitable in great part because of its southwest orientation, which is auspicious feng shui for me and also good for starting seeds in the spring.

Then, Eldest Roommate's parents arrived with her furniture. She had told me a million times that her parents would help me "at least with the heavy stuff", which aggravated me because a) I can carry all my own stuff, obviously and b) her father is over 80 and her mother has fibromyalgia, so if I can't do it, neither can they. Duh. Anyway, first of all there was a gigantic 80ies couch which the father, Youngest Roommate and Youngest Roommate's buddy spent an hour trying to get into the living room, ripping out half the drywall in the hallway in the process. Sigh... Eldest Roommate assures me her father will fix it for free since he's a drywaller. Right. I wonder how promptly that's gonna get done. But the good thing is, while everyone was doing that, no one really got in my way. I mean, other than the fact that I had to park on the street and walk around to the back because hall from the front door was mostly blocked by a couch.

Other than that, the main problem is that I never got to unload the Fnord completely since Hay River, so it was full of stuff to begin with, so I unloaded THAT in the house and now I can finally load for real and get things done. Except I'm tired. Good thing I have until the 20th to be out of the house.

So now you know. Also, coffee is over. Bye.

No comments: