Monday, December 29, 2014

H time: wake up. All is well.

H+1: all is well.

H+2: all is well.

H+3: looking at my bank account for no particular reason, I notice that the phone company took their preauthorized payment three days early for the second time in three months, thus causing it to bounce and costing me $45 for the second time in three months.

H+3.1: phone the phone company. Their plan to make things better is: nothing. Assholes. So I cancelled the preauthorized payment plan. Still out $45 though. I guess I'll just withhold it from their bill.

H+4.3: time to leave for work. I walk out, put my key in the door to lock it, realize I didn't take my medication. Dang.

H+4.32: ok, leaving a second time.

H+4.36: walking towards the bus stop, realize my wallet is not in my pocket. Probably on my desk at home. Damn.

H+4.4: yep, it's on my desk. K, now I'm going to miss the regular bus, I guess I'll have to go to the other bus stop in the opposite direction and catch the other bus that has a two-minute connection to the 86.

H+4.55: I arrive at the bus stop and check the time. Turns out I could have made the normal bus stop with two minutes to spare and caught the regular bus. Now I have to wait 15 minutes and it's -21 C. Fuck. I decide to walk to the next stop to kill time.

H+4.7: arrive at the next bus stop, text transit, bus is still on schedule. I wait.

H+4.8: Bus should be here now, but it's not.

Two minutes later: still not.

Two more minutes later: still not. Ok, now I'm missing the 86 to work. Decision time.

1) Take the next bus, arrive 45 minutes late. Cost: $7.
2) Take a cab, arrive essentially on time. Cost: $20.
3) Go home and stay there. Cost: $78.

The choice was painfully obviously. On the other hand, I was cold and pissed off, and I had been wishing I could miss work this week anyway. So I went home. $123 gone from my budget in less than two hours.

And yet, I can't help thinking that being out $78 is less stressful to me than my not showing is to Tweedledumb. I can always eat less; he can't very well think more.

No comments: